Happy Thanksgiving from Unisource Insurance! While you are preparing your delicious turkey for the whole family, it is also important to have the perfect side dish to complement the turkey. Keep this caramelized onion and gorgonzola mashed potatoes recipe in mind, as it is sure to be a new favorite!
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 ¾ tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ cup butter
- ¾ cup half and half
- ¾ cup crumbled Gorgonzola or blue cheese
- ¾ teaspoon pepper
- Fresh rosemary sprigs for garnish
- Boil potatoes, 1-teaspoon salt, and water in a Dutch oven. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Drain the potatoes and keep them warm.
- Melt 2-tablespoon butter with the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, for 12 to 17 minutes or until the onion is tender. Add the garlic and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Stir in the rosemary and remove from the heat.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher. Stir in ½ cup butter, half and half, and cheese until everything is blended together. Spoon some of the minute into a decorative baking dish to fill the bottom. Fill a piping bag with the rest of the potato mixture and pipe the rest into the pan to create the desired look.
- Broil, 3 inches from the heat, for 5 minutes or until the top is lightly browned. Garnish with the rosemary sprigs.
Unisource Insurance Associates in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin would like to wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving!