Have you signed up for your 2015 individual health insurance coverage? If you have not, you still can through Open Enrollment. Open Enrollment opened on November 15th and will be closed on February 15, 2015, so make sure to sign up before it is too late. If you do not sign up for health insurance during Open Enrollment, you will face fines and will not have any health insurance coverage for the upcoming year.
If you do not have health insurance in 2015, you will have to pay 2 percent of your annual household income or $325 per person in your household for the year, whichever amount is higher. The only way that you can sign up for health insurance coverage outside of Open Enrollment so that you do not have to face a fine is if you have a qualifying life event. Some of these qualifying life events include:
- Getting married or getting divorced.
- Having a child, adopting a child, or placing a child up for adoption.
- Moving to a different state that does not offer the same health insurance coverage that you currently have.
- Losing your health insurance coverage because you lost your job, you age off your parent’s health insurance plan, you lose eligibility for CHIP or Medicaid, your COBRA coverage expired, or any other similar circumstances. Keep in mind that voluntarily giving up your health insurance coverage does not qualify as a life event.
- If you gain status as a member of a federally recognized shareholder or tribe in an Alaska Native Claims Settlement.
Contact Unisource Insurance Associates in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin for any questions or concerns about your health insurance coverage. We can provide you with the most comprehensive coverage to ensure that you are covered in any unfortunate situation.