Summer Safety Tips
While the summer sun can be very relaxing, it can also be dangerous if you do not take the proper precautions. From painful sunburns to skin cancer, there are many steps that you should take to protect your family this summer. Keep these summer safety tips in mind to fully and safely enjoy the season.
- When you are headed outside, try to find shade instead of being in the direct sunlight. The sun’s rays are most harmful between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Wear a wide brimmed hat when you are outside. You should also invest in large sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun.
- Whenever you will be outside, even if it is cloudy, make sure to put on sunscreen that has an SPF of at least 15 and protects against both UVB and UVA rays.
- If you are sweating or swimming, your sunscreen should be reapplied at least every two hours to provide proper protection.
- Stay hydrated throughout the day by drinking plenty of fluids, even if you are not thirsty. Try to avoid beverages that contain alcohol or caffeine.
- Wear light-colored and lightweight clothing when you are outside. Avoid dark colors since they absorb the sun’s heat much faster.
- Never leave your children or pets in a car, even if the windows are down. The temperature inside the car is much hotter than the temperature outside and can have deadly consequences.
- Make sure children have the proper adult supervision when around water, even if they are strong swimmers.
- If you have a backyard pool, install a self-locking gate that is at least four feet tall to prevent anyone from entering the pool area when there is no supervision.
For all of your insurance needs to ensure that you have the protection you deserve this summer, contact Unisource Insurance Associates in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin.