How to Properly Dispose of Your Christmas Tree
Although the holiday season is still in full swing, it is a good time to start thinking about how to properly dispose your Christmas tree. Knowing how to properly dispose your Christmas tree can help to ensure that you and your family stay safe. Keep these Christmas tree safety tips in mind so that tossing out your tree does not ruin your holiday season.
- Toss out your tree as soon as possible. It is best to make sure that your tree is gone within one month after purpose. The longer your tree sits in your home, the more of a danger it becomes.
- One of the best signs that it is time to throw out your tree is when it starts dropping needles. Touch the tree, and if needles fall off in your hand, it is time to throw it away.
- Do not leave the tree in your garage or patio. Leaving a dry tree anywhere near your home can be a serious fire hazard.
- Check to see where tree-recycling centers are in your area, or if your community offers a pick-up service. If you cannot find any recycling centers or pick-up programs in your area, contact your local authorities to find out the best way to dispose of your tree.
- Never try to get rid of your tree by burning it in your fireplace or in a wood stove. The sap on the trees can explode and the needles can burn too fast and get out of control. Burning your tree in your fireplace can also cause the creosote depositing in your chimney to catch fire, causing a serious issue.
Having the right homeowners insurance policy is the best way to ensure that you and your family stay safe this holiday season. Contact the insurance experts at Unisource Insurance Associates in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin for all of your home insurance coverage needs.